The Fourteenth Goldfish

The Fourteenth Goldfish - Jennifer L. Holm I received a free kindle copy of The Fourteenth Goldfish by Jennifer L. Holm from NetGalley for fair review.

I gave it five stars because it was entertaining, evocative & thought provoking. It also brought up moral-ethical issues about 'the fountain of youth'.

...."a toilet that's always getting clogged. I secretly think it's haunted by all the fish that were flushed down it."

It's written from the point of view of Ellie who is a precociously bright eleven year old. Her mother is a drama teacher. One night she unexpectedly Had to pick up her grandfather from the police station. She returned home to a babysitter that quit with no notice & brought with her an impudent teenage boy about thirteen.

"Middle school is like one of those highway restrooms in the middle of nowhere. It's dirty & smelly & it's crowded with strange people."

"Things are a little different with my grandfather living with us." It was about his coming of age, again.

Discussing the progress in science, Ellie's mother Lissa is surprised when Ellie says: "There's a lot of romance', I insist. She looks confused. 'Really? Who are they in love with?' 'Possibility.'

"The music pounds like a pulse through the floor, & it's so loud, you can't think. It feels like the undertow of the ocean, & I'm just swept along, everthing reduced to senses."

I agree with this quote: Grandpa Melvin quotes Salk: "Our greatest responsibility is to be good ancestors."

Link to purchase: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IQRN4PW?ie=UTF8&creativeASIN=B00IQRN4PW&linkCode=xm2&tag=injoslifethin-20