Darker Shadows Lie Below

Darker Shadows Lie Below - Al Barrera I received a copy of Darker Shadows Lie Below by Al Barrera published by Al Barrera from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review. I gave it five stars.

This is one of the most frightening horror stories I've read. It's a story of a young doctor moving to Tennessee to start a new job at Umber Gardens, a prestigious hospital for the mentally ill.

"The oldest & strongest emotion of mankind is fear, & the oldest & strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."-H.P. Lovecraft

Ben Kent, the doctor has trouble sleeping. "Anxiety wormed its way through his guts at the thought of putting his head on the pillow."

"Sleep avoidance behavior was the clinical term for it. The irrational fear of sleep. Usually a sign of post-traumatic stress disorder or similar forms of anxiety."

His fiance, Julia is nine months pregnant, due at any moment. The stress of being a pending father, the stress from the unusual circumstances & events at the new job are all taking a toll on his mental well being. In addition, his mother had committed suicide & he was guilt ridden because of it. When a patient who is strapped to the bed tells Ben of this event when no one had known, he runs out of the room with fear.

He called his lifelong friend, Eddy to confide in him & ask for information about the area where he lived & about the hospital where he was working. He mentioned some of his irrational fears & shared that he felt the need for prayer was a source of help. Eddy replied: "Prayer is the last bastion of the weak & the desperate." Ben felt desperate & hopelessly alone.

"Existence was one long attempt to hold onto things that always fell away, doomed to failure before it began."

I worked at a mental institution built in the early 1930's. There were times on the night shift when I could relate to some of the fears that Ben faced. There's something about being surrounded by the mentally ill in a creepy old building that can make you doubt your own sanity as it does with Ben.

For a book that will keep the pages turning into the wee hours & then keep you frighteningly awake for days after, this is the book for you. I recommend it for horror story fans.

Link to purchase: http://www.amazon.com/Darker-Shadows-Lie-Below-Barrera/dp/0990943216/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422530517&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Darker+Shadows+lie+Beneath